Having three kids makes me aware of everything we eat. Time and budget take a huge part in this decision as well. With D we had a bit more money and went organic everything, from dairy to meat. Now, with three kids we've had to make more cuts than I'd like, but the budget dictates to us more what we can do. I try to stick to the
EWG Dirty Dozen and Clean 15 rules when shopping. I cannot afford always grass-fed beef or free range chicken, but look for sales when I can. One step I've tried to take is doing more things at home like recreating what I used to buy in seasoning packets (taco mix, chili mix) and making our own bread to go along with a hearty stew. With a few key ingredients in my pantry I've found a lot of things I can make myself. I control the ingredients, I can spell and pronounce them, and therefore, know exactly what my family is eating!
Here's a list of some of our favorites:
- Pizza dough. We rarely if ever order out for pizza anymore. We choose our own toppings, win!
- French Bread. Smells divine, crusty on the outside.
- Taco Seasoning
- Pancakes
- Yogurt. I admit getting lazy and buying this more often now. I buy a lot of milk already, it takes forever...Anyone want to buy a yogurt maker cheap?
- Cinnamon Rolls. Not for everyday, nor every weekend. We enjoyed though over Christmas and New Year's. The dental floss for cutting idea, brilliant!!!
Hope you enjoy! I want to see some more great ideas so I hope I have someone reading, anyone?
My next move is to try some DIY cleaning supplies and soaps I see on
Pinterest!
No comments:
Post a Comment