Here is why the show ends at 36 hours, because everything is just FINE in that time frame! Things are still new, you're still on an adrenaline rush. You have people coming and going. You're just expecting no sleep and happy to not be in a hospital.
AFTER the 36 hours, there's a lot of looking around and reality settling in where you start to go, Holy shit! I'm home, I'm with a baby, now what the fuck do I do?
Okay, it's not that bad, really. But here's some observations in no particular order or format, because, well, I'm too tired to care or form full thoughts.
- NOTHING is more precious than your new baby. I can stare at 'Lil D for literally hours, and I have some hours to do so. When he sleeps, when he nurses, when he just is, I can just drink him in and still shake my head thinking that I am half responsible for making him!
- Having a partnership is where it's at. Sean has been so wonderful this past week, I'm scared to have him go back to work on Monday. He's up and sharing all baby duties with me through the day and night (except feeding). He's been cooking and cleaning. If I'm tired he insists I take a nap. If I try to do things on my own he asks why I don't just ask for help. I didn't doubt that he'd help out at all, I just wasn't ready for him to be so wonderful about it!
- Things I cared about before are soooo secondary such as (for the time being at least, I'll update train of though monthly I'm sure); checking email hourly, doing anything with my hair (ponytail, ponytail, ponytail), makeup (I broke down for a dab of mascara today though)
- After birth you're very in between sizes. My pre-maternity clothes don't quite fit, and maternity clothes for the most part are too big. Clothing identity crisis, hello! Thankfully I don't have to go anywhere for a while.
- Breastfeeding isn't as bad as I've heard. It doesn't hurt, if you do it right, so they say. Well, I guess I must be doing something right. While it is time consuming, I like the bonding time and doing something that ONLY I can do for my baby. Until I start to pump that is.
- Also on BFing, engorgement hurts! They say it goes down in 24-48 hours and damn I hope so. I'm trailing on that 48 hours and hoping for the best. I don't think that you can truly be prepared for the size and shape the boobs you knew since you were like 12 have taken on. Over inflated is an understatement. When books say "lumpy" or "hard", HA! And the other cruel joke is, you might not have a belly anymore, but you still can't sleep on your tummy because of this whole issue.
- Stitches down there hurt, a few days after you get them, and the aftercare is a pain.
- Getting baby to sleep in his/her bassinet is hard, especially when there is the comfort of your arms to be had. And that's my cue that I've been taking too much time here to BLOG instead of paying attention. Someone's crying.....
I'm sure I'll have lots more of these observational posts soon, when I have time and arms to type!
Fantastic post -- really wonderful thoughts and I'm so glad everything's going well! Now I'm REALLY excited about LG's arrival.
ReplyDeleteToday has actually been really difficult. As much as we are all getting adjusted and lack of sleep has been kicking in here and there, I miss being at home to be able to take Lil D whenever. Looking forward to the time I am taking in October to be there and hang with him.....
ReplyDeleteThere is nothing wrong with letting the Little One sleep in your arms all day!
ReplyDelete