Google Analytics Code

Saturday, October 25

I'm not always a believer...

But I'll try things once. We borrowed The Happiest Baby on the Block DVD (there is a book, but really, who has the time to read with a 9 week old, I have 3 books waiting to be cracked open) from our friends, who also borrowed it from friends. Well, this guy makes money for a reason. He teaches the 5 S's: Swaddling, shushing (or white noise), side hold, swinging, and sucking. I think I have them all? Well, until recently we've been able to get 'Lil D down for a significant nap. After tricking my husband into watching the DVD (making breakfast and bringing it to him while he was holding baby, I'd already loaded the DVD, just needed to hit play) we tried a few of these techniques. While the video itself put little one to sleep (sorry Dr. Karp), I did some of the moves to put the little guy down in his bassinet. I swaddled him, we do this at night but I've resisted during the day, and put a fan on for some white noise, laid him down, and he really slept for an hour and a half. I didn' t know what to do!
I find the shushing kind of difficult because you have to do it fairly loud and need to have deep long breaths so you don't have to pause too much in between. I downloaded a white noise album for my iPod (yes this is a CDBaby link). This worked within five minutes just now. I laid him down in the bassinet, he was wide awake again from having just been out, uploaded the womb sounds to the iPod, and moved that into the bedroom, walked around for five more minutes, and he was out snoring! So, I had to do a mini rave real quick, and now I'm off to do important things like shower!
This is the result:

1 comment:

  1. So glad it worked! We thought it was amazing too -- Pete is wayyyy better at swaddling than me. I just use the swaddle me that you gave us, which I love -- that's way easier than the 17 steps for regular swaddling.

    ReplyDelete